Friday, May 15, 2009

pimlico racetrack

pimlico racetrack With the 134th Preakness States one day away, and with a good two years under my belt of failing to read beyond the headlines, I thought I’d finally take the time to attempt to make sense of this mess of bankruptcy, the end of the Freakness, Kevin Plank, slots, etc. that forms the current state of the Maryland horseracing industry. Even after I finished, I could only sigh, “well, it’s a start.” A recent political quote nicely sums up the most current debacle in Maryland Racing while also providing some unintentional insight: “It would be akin to saving Santa but losing the North Pole,” Joseph Bryce, O’Malley’s chief legislative officer, quipped when asked why the State of Maryland might, through eminent domain, attempt to secure the rights to both the Preakness (Santa) and Pimlico (North Pole).

No comments:

Post a Comment